Yay! Congrats!! I remember the first time I got my first Silhouette Cameo almost 5 years ago. It was an amazing feeling, and I felt like the crafty possibilities were ENDLESS. Whether you just decided to treat yo self, or convinced someone you would *totally* save so much money by making gifts vs. buying them (ahem-amiright?!), once you get your silhouette cutting machine, there are still a bunch of accessories you’ll want or need to have on hand. I’m listing some of my favorite cutting machine accessories in this post.
It’s especially stressful to figure out what you need when you’re on a tight budget, so I’ve tried to streamline the tools I find to be most important when shopping for my silhouette Cameo or Portrait accessories.
Need (At the bare minimum):
Materials to Make Things
- Adhesive Vinyl (So far my favorite brand is Oracal 631 & 651, but I’m going to compare brands for this blog in future posts)
- I love this starter pack directly from Oracal because it has one of every color that’s totally compatible with Silhouette Machines.
- Heat Transfer Vinyl (So far my favorite brand is Siser Easyweed, but I’m going to do a few comparisons for this blog in future posts)
- This is my local HTV supplier, and I love promoting and supporting them as much as possible because their service is FANTASTIC, and I have not seen any cheaper prices from reliable, fast suppliers. They offer free shipping on Amazon and they typically ship the same day.
Click here to see the page with my favorite suppliers of all the items I use on a daily and weekly basis and my affiliate disclosure.
That’s pretty much what you *need*to make something, assuming you already have blank stuff at home that you can add vinyl to… Now below are some “nice to have in advance before you need them” type items.
Nice to have:
- Extra Cutting Mat (either 12×12 or 8×12)
- Note: There are some FAKE mats out there that look *just* like the genuine ones, only worse quality… So save yourself the headache and go with genuine Silhouette replacement mats.
- Extra Blade
- Same note as above. The exception is the CB09 holder, but more on that in a future post!
- Weeding & Spatula Tools
- Squeegee / Scraper
- I use this car vinyl squeegee because it has a felt wrapped edge and I find that its less damaging to the vinyl.
- Ikea Grocery Bag Holder (For storing rolled vinyl – I’ll show my craft area soon)
This list should get you started, but is by no means exhaustive. Just nice things to order as well if you’ve got your new cutting machine on the way and want to have, and are on somewhat of a budget like I ALWAYS am.
TL;DR? Click here to see where I buy my vinyl craft accessories. Buy these along with your new machine: Vinyl (Adhesive or HTV), Weeding tool, Scraper. >.< (see above for links)
Comment below and let me know if I missed anything! What was the first tool you bought or wish you had bought when you bought your machine?